Pain Management Doctors

I have been with a pain management specialist now for my 7 years  I have been with the current one for almost 4 years now.  Do I feel that it’s necessary to have a pain management specialist and the answer is YES, it is so important to see one and especially if you have been diagnosed with chronic pain. According to the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, pain management specialist is defined as follows:

“A pain management specialist is a physician with special training in evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of all different types of pain. Pain is actually a wide spectrum of disorders including acute pain, chronic pain and cancer pain and sometimes a combination of these. Pain can also arise for many different reasons such as surgery, injury, nerve damage, and metabolic problems such as diabetes. Occasionally, pain can even be the problem all by itself, without any obvious cause at all.”

The question that is asked the most is , do I need a pain management specialist or can my primary care doctor/surgeon/or any other doctor treat me.  I asked myself that question and when my surgeon suggested that I start seeing a pain specialist, I felt almost like I had let down my surgeon.  I was that 2% that didn’t have surgery help so  I failed with the surgery.  When it was actually quite simple as to why my surgeon wanted me to see the pain specialist. It was because a pain management specialists can help with chronic pain when the surgeon had no idea what the best medication was and how long I should be on a medication.  All this was known by the specialist and so much more.  There are many procedures that a specialist can do.  Here is a list of a few of them.

  1. Implant stimulations
  2. Nerve blocks
  3. Medication pumps
  4. Oral medications
  5. Therapies – physical, recreational, and occupational therapy, and focus on exercise and movement
  6. trigger point injections
  7. Implantable devices

Not all specialist can do each of the items I’ve listed,  It’s important to find the right kind of pan management specialist that you need.  Each may have a background in the 4 listed areas”

  1. .anesthesiologist
  2. neurosurgeon
  3. Physiatrists
  4. Psychiatrists

It’s really important to find a specialist that works well with you and also with your surgeon, internal medicine doctor, your PCP, or any of your doctor.  Ask your surgeon who he/she recommends.  I’m sure you are not the only patient that needs this type of specialist and you will want to find one that will work well with what you need  The best way to find one,  if your doctor does not deal with one, is by heading to the webpage of American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians and use the tools they have there to help you find the right one. Another way to find one is by asking around.  Ask on someone’s blog, ask on Facebook, or any social media sites. It might take a little while to find the right one but in the long run, it will all  be worth it.


1 1
%d bloggers like this: